Friday, July 6, 2007

Made & Re-Made #1: Toy Soldiers

I have decided to start a new "series." Every once and a while I will post a song in its original form, and then a new version of it created by another artist. This includes rappers who use the chorus from an old song as a hook in their new one. The first of this series is Toy Soldier. The orgininal was sang by Martika and then Eminem later used the chorus in his own version.

Toy Soldiers - Martika
View the
LYRICS to this song.

I've read the lyrics to this song and I still can't quite grasp what it's about. Maybe someone can enlighten me with their theory. Whatever she is singing about however, she is very passionate about it in the video. I loved this song when I was a kid, and I actually like the "remake" done by Eminem.


...is it just me, or does Martika remind you of actress Shannyn Sossamon from A Knight's Tale?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Shannyn Sossamon


Like Toy Soldiers - Eminem
View the
LYRICS to this song.

I never had the patience to actually listen to this song and figure out what Eminem is talking about, so I was pleased to see that the YouTube member that posted this video provided the following description:


"Like Toy Soldiers" is a song by rapper Eminem on his worldwide hit album Encore, that tells the story of his feuds in an attempt to settle down the rap community. He speaks his heart about problems with The Source magazine and its editor Benzino, as well as Murder Inc. Records. He explains the beef between Ja Rule and 50 Cent. He finishes off the song by offering a truce to his enemies.

I respect Eminem as an artist...except for the disturbing song in which he kills his wife...but I will ignore that for now and give him props for this one.




2 comments:

Curtis Groom said...

Hello,
As a "Old Man", I am hesitant to give a shout out to Eminem, but this is the song that really turned me onto his music. So Eminem it is.

Heidi said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog!

I never liked "Toy Soldiers" when it first came out from Martika, but after hearing Eminem's version, it grew on me.

For some strange reason, I tend to dislike songs when they first come out, but end up liking them years later. For instance, I couldn't stand GNR when they were "in" back in the '80s, but now I really like their music.